Expected in a month
- HADK update 2.0 (Software updates)
- Sailfish OS update 2.1.2 (Software update)
- Sailfish X for Sony Xperia X (SW for Mobile devices)
- Youyota Tablet. Delivery schedule tba on September 16, 2017 (Mobile devices)
- Introduction of Jala Accione (Mobile devices)
- Tablet cover, bt-keyboard (Accessories)
- Sailfish OS Meeting in Krakow, Poland (Events)
- Sailfish OS Meeting in Budabest, Hungary (Events)
- Some Jolla Tablet backers to be refunded (More here)
Software updates and new features
- Sailfish OS (Jolla, Finland) for Jolla Phone, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet. Upcoming for Xperia X
- Ceased: Sailfish OS 188.8.131.52 Jämsänjoki, released on August 29, 2017
- Latest public: Sailfish OS 184.108.40.206 Iijoki, released on April 11, 2017
- Upcoming: Sailfish OS 220.127.116.11 Jämsänjoki HOTFIX. Release date unknown, expected soon
- Upcoming: 2.1.2.x is expected to be released for public on October 11, 2017. This version entered Cbeta testing (closed, separately invited community testing group) on July 31, 2017. On known feature upgrades, this version will support 64bit ARM processors, at least Qualcomm Snapdragon 650.
- Sailfish OS RUS (OMP, Russia) for Inoi R7
- Latest public: 18.104.22.168, released on June 20, 2017
- Latest Early Access: Sailfish OS 22.214.171.124 Jämsänjoki, released on July 28, 2017
- This operating system is based on Sailfish OS core by Jolla, Finland. It differs from the original by missing support for running Android applications, and by a different boot screen. This OS has been audited by Russian officials, and has been listed as the only mobile operating system in Russia's governmental list of supported software.
- Sailfish OS India (Intex, India) for Intex Aqua Fish
- Latest: 126.96.36.199, released on May 10, 2017
- This operating system is based on Sailfish OS core by Jolla, Finland. It differs from the original by having additional commercial home screen on the right side of the main home screen. It also supports Android apps by default, a feature which is separately enabled by user in the original Sailfish OS.
- Note: Intex is not releasing another Sailfish OS device for the markets in India. Intex Aqua Fish is no longer available either. It's uknown for how long time Intex will provide software updates for the device owners. However, there is a possibility to hack Intex Aqua Fish to appear as Jolla C which then receives its updates directly via Jolla, Finland.
- Sailfish OS China (licensee and supported devices to be announced)
- This operating system, based on Jolla's Sailfish OS core, reached implementation phase on April 2017 and is expected to be finalized latest in September 2017. Press release (PDF)
- Via this operating system, Jolla targets to offer a national OS for the markets in China. For this project, 250M USD financing is expected from Chinese investors.
- Sailfish OS HADK (Hardware Adaptation Developer Kit)
- Latest public: HADK 1.1.2, published on October 28, 2016 (written on June 2016)
- Upcoming: HADK 2.0. Draft of this version was published on September 5, 2017. It's supposed to be finalized in the beginning of September.
- HADK is a pdf guide of +50 pages, shared by Jolla in a purpose to help the community to port Sailfish OS on Android devives. More: sailfishos.org develop hadk
- Sailfish X for Sony Xperia X single SIM (F5121) is supported since version 2.1.2.x. For this device, the operating system is sold separately as a downloadable package, including instructions for the installation. The software starts sales on September 27, 2017 with a price tag of 49,90 EUR, and the first deliveries are aimed for October 11, 2017 when the downloadable image is expected to be ready. -20% discount for part of the Jolla Community, the pioneers who have purchaced Jolla C, is to be announced later. Their price will eventually be 39,90€ for one year of updates with the official care and support.
- In the beginning, Sailfish X will not support Bluetooth, fingerprint sensor, FM-radio nor new sensors like barometer or step-counter. Also the installation process will require some tech savvy attitude. All these are, however, being worked on.
- Sailfish X does support: Sailfish OS with Android apps support (4.4.4), MS Exchange Active Sync, access to Jolla Store and Over The Air system updates for at least a year.
- Availability: EU, Norway, Switzerland
- Availability in U.S. & Canada is yet to be confirmed
- Other devices listed on Sony Open Device program might join in later. Sailfish OS was originally expected to be available for Xperia X by June, but there's been challenges delaying this project until October. It's currently being tested by Jolla's closed community group called CBeta. Latest updates to the project can be found on our interview on July 20, 2017 and on Jolla Blog on August 25, 2017. Here's the latest video by Jolla.
- Youyota Tablet (Crowdsourced campaign started on July 5, 2017)
- Sailfish OS powered copy of Jolla Tablet under new brand "Youyota" with slightly better battery capacity and new color red for 64GB model (all other HW exactly the same), pushed for production by community member "Chenliang Chen" and his partner "Michael Du" via Indiegogo. The project reached its financial goal, and tablets are expected to be shipped soon. Detailed delivery schedule is promised to be shared on September 16, 2017. Components have been ordered deliveries are expected to start on last week of September 2017. Of course, possible delays are quite common in crowdsourced projects, but at least this project is not dependent on any design related issues, hardware and software already being tested earlier.
- Inoi R7 (Russia)
- First device seen on June 22, 2017 on developers hands. Orders are available also for customers already. Russian Mail has announced to order 15000 devices for their official use.
- Inoi R7 is a mobile phone manufactured for Russian markets. Russian language web page for more information can be found here
- Jala Accione (South America)
- Next announcement is scheduled for
October 13, 2017 in Cochabamba, Bolivia, with wording "Awakening of a new era" (translated from Spanish), where Jala, Qualcomm and Jolla will share keynotes. Jala will also meet the press on the previous day. Follow up on the Accione web page. Jolla announced this "high-end low-cost" mobile phone during Mobile World Congress 2017 to the markets of South America. Unfortunately, already before the upcoming press conference, media in South America has claimed the operating system as open source (which is is not). The origin of these claims are not known, but we have seen wrong terminology used in marketing before. Too bad this heritage spreads to South America as well. Anyway, the price of the mobile phone Jala Accione is expected to be around $110 (source).
- Lumo (video security phone) 16.5.2017 Oulumo and Jolla announced co-operation to develop next generation video carephone. blog.jolla.com/oulumo
- Devices (list including unofficial ports)
|Jorge Lopez, CEO at Jala|
- Related to the Indiegogo campaign by Youyota (see above), the perks in the campaign include Youyota branded sleeve, Bluefooth keyboard and a Protection Cover supporting attachment of the keyboard with magnets. These accessories would fit for both Youyota and Jolla Tablet
- Since Jolla is currently purely focused on software, there are no new accessories expected from them for any of the Sailfish OS devices. Community projects and other 3rd party projects are, however, still possible
Events, meetings and happenings
- Please follow Sailfish OS related events at Sailfish OS Community site
- Note: September 14, 2017, Sailfish OS Meeting in Krakow, Poland is not updated there
- Note: September 17, 2017, Sailfish OS Meeting in Budabest, Hungary is not updated there
- Monthly: Fan meeting in Berlin, Germany organized by SailfishOSBerlin
- Twice a month: Mer community IRC meeting, see TJC
Updated: 2017-09-11 19:32 UTC